Friday, October 24, 2014

Capturing the Teachable Moment

   When I was in college studying to become a teacher, the phrase I hear over and over again was “Capture the Teachable Moments”.  The idea is that if you can get kids interested and invested in a topic, they will learn more.  When things happen that are outside the lesson plan but can be used to promote learning, then deviate from the plan and capture the moment.  We were taught to consciously look for those moments in our classroom.
   While it seems like it’s only yesterday that I was in college, the years have come and gone.  I’ve gotten married.  I’ve lived in and visited a number of continents and countries.  I now have three kids that call me, Mom.  Those days of looking for the teachable moments in the classroom are gone.  But God has been touching my heart and reminding me that I have three precious little ones to care for daily.  Those teachable moments are in my own home and can be used to point my children towards Him.  He has been reminding me to look for the teachable moments and capture them.
   Last week, my children and I were in South Africa staying at a guesthouse for missionaries while my husband flew to Lesotho to do an engine change on one of our planes.  This was the first time that I had ever been in South Africa by myself with all three kids.  To say that I was a little nervous, would be an understatement.  We have visited South Africa as a family many times, but it’s so different when you are family verse a single parent.  But I knew it was for the best and I was thankful we were at a safe place in South Africa, so I put a brave face on and started the week. 
Looking down the driveway to the place we stayed.  There are a number of houses and guest rooms among the trees.

   South Africa is the land of plenty compared to Mozambique.  There are a number of things one can buy here that you can’t buy in Mozambique.  Since there were things we needed to buy to take back, shopping was on my “to do” list.  The kids and I had been out shopping for a couple of hours that afternoon.  We had decided that for supper we would stop at McDonalds (a very special treat we only get in South Africa).  We had finished shopping for the day and were getting ready to go for supper, when I realized that I didn’t have my phone.  I also realized that if we were to have supper in town and then drive back, I would be driving in the dark, in an unfamiliar country, without a phone to call for help if I needed it.  There was nothing about that which made me comfortable.  So I realized, we needed head directly back to where we were staying and skip McDonalds.
   You can well imagine how that was perceived by the three little ones in the back.  I tried to explain but to them, well… it seems as though I wasn’t being fair.  It seems that I was lying because we had a change of plans.  I firmly told them that for our safety, we needed to go home but we would do our best to visit McDonalds the next day.  We arrived home safely and I started supper while the kids raced outside to play.
   It wasn’t 30 minutes after we got home that a huge thunderstorm hit, complete with thunder, lightning, and lots of rain.  I started thanking God that we were at home and not out somewhere driving.  Then in that still small voice I heard, “Help my little children see how I’ve protected them today.”  I knew instantly that this was a “capture the teachable moment”.  So as the children looked out the window and watched the rain, saw the lightning, and heard the thunder, I reminded them of the fact that we were only home safe because Mommy had forgotten my phone.  God had protected us through me forgetting my phone.  
    When my son looked at me and declared, “Wow, God protected us by having you forget your phone. God is so good.”  I knew that I had gotten through.  What seemed like a hardship, missing McDonalds, was really God’s protection.  Since that day, the kids have chatted a number time about how they didn’t know that God was protecting us by a forgotten phone, but He was.  They are also very diligent at making sure I have my phone every time we go out now. J

  It’s been a good reminder to me to remember to always to be looking for the “teachable moments” for my kids to help the see that God is part of our daily lives.  He cares about us deeply and is with us all the time.  He is a God who takes time out of His busy schedule to care for each of us personally.  How about you?  What teachable moments have God given you in your life?
One of the sunsets, we enjoyed while in South Africa.  Reminding me again of God's love and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment