Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving

While the calendar says that it’s Thanksgiving, I have a hard time really believing it here in Mozambique.  Here it’s hot and dry.  There are no signs of Thanksgiving.  No pretty napkins in the store, no corn candy to buy, no signs talking about it, no specials on turkey, yet the calendar still says it’s Thanksgiving. 

Celebrating a very “American” holiday in a culture that doesn’t is always a little interesting.  But as I look at this particular American holiday, I feel it’s important to pass on the art of being thankful.  No matter where you are living, you can still be thankful.  On Sunday night at the English Fellowship, we were reminded that being thankfully is not just an American idea due to a holiday.  But it’s all through the writings of Paul.  While we live in a culture that isn’t taught to express thanks to others, I will teach my children and practice it myself.  Why?  Because God instructs us to be thankful in all situations. (1 Thes. 5:18)   

So even though the weather was seasonably hot, culturally it’s not a holiday here, and there was not turkey for the meal, we gathered with a small group of friends and celebrated.  We did have some American treats though with stuffing, green beans with mushroom sauce, and pumpkin pie.   We even got to watch some American football, thanks to a previously recorded game and a projector.   It was a special day and I’m so thankful for the many blessings God has given me.
the kids' table

the fellowship

the location

the entertainment: American college football

the hosts

While the adults watched football, the kids had a great time playing outside.  The meal was hosted by a family living on the Wycliffe compound.

Justin enjoying the good climbing tree.

Playing in the fort that a number of missionary kids are helping to build.

It is very important that you sweep your dirt here as a way of keeping the place looking nice.  As I was walking back from the "fort", these sweeper marks in the dirt caught my attention.

Things I’m thankful for:
  • Knowing that God loves and cares for us no matter where in the world we are
  • An amazing husband that loves me just the way I am, even with all my uniqueness
  • Our children that God has blessed us with
  • Christian family in that states that bless us to serve here even though it’s a sacrifice for them too.
  • Friends that are a special part of our life here in Mozambique
  • That I’m part of something bigger than myself, I’m part of what God is doing in the world.  Since He is the creator, He also never makes a mistake and I can rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment